Biafo & Hispar glaciers are listed among the list of longest glaciers in the world. A trekking route from Baltistan to Hunza Valley on these glaciers is the longest glacial traverse in the world apart from the snow lands of the two poles. The trekking route is rarely done, which makes it more interesting as the campsites are clean and less polluted. Starting our walk from Askole, we climb up Biafo Glacier and arrive at the vast bowl of snow called Snow Lake, which covers an area of 77 square kilometers. The great world explorers have mentioned the area in their accounts while Tillman claimed to witness the presence of a mythical creature, the Yeti, as he saw its footprint around Snow Lake. Biafo Glacier is also known as the home of the brown bear.
Geologists and other experts have measured the depth of the glacier to be as deep as one and half kilometers ( about one mile ) at points.
Hispar Pass is a vast plateau of snow and ice from where trekking routes lead to Nagar, Hunza and to Shimshal. Crossing the Hispar La at 5151m/16,998ft we descend into the Nagar region. Although we cross the highest point of the trek we still must negotiate several of the glacier tails flowing down from the mountains. The reward of this effort is the green and lovely campsite before arriving in Nagar and then drive to Hunza Valley.
This strenuous trek has many stories about it that tell us of the ethno-cultural link between the Brushos of Hunza and Nager and the Baltis of erstwhile Shigar state.
- Day 01: Arrival to Rawalpindi/Islamabad Hotel
- Day 02: Drive to Chilas. Hotel
- Day 03: Drive to Skardu Hotel
- Day 04: Drive to Askole Camp
- Day 05: Trek to Namla Camp
- Day 06: Trek to Mango Camp
- Day 07: Trek to Biantha Camp
- Day 08: Trek to Marfogoro Camp
- Day 09: Trek to Snow Lake Camp
- Day 10: Free day at Snow Lake for exploration Camp
- Day 11: Trek to Hisper La Camp
- Day 12: Trek to Hisper La Base Camp
- Day 13: Trek to Khani Basa Camp
- Day 14: Trek to Yutmaru Camp
- Day 15: Trek to Pumari Chhish Camp
- Day 16: Trek to Bitanmal Camp
- Day 17: Trek to Hisper Village Camp
- Day 18: Drive to Karimabad Hotel
- Day 19: Free day to explore Hunza Valley Hotel
- Day 20: Drive to Besham Hotel
- Day 21: Drive to Islamabad Hotel
- Day 22: Drive to Airport for homebound flight