For anyone who wants to have a first time taste of Himalayan trekking, we recommend the Rush Lake trek in the heart of the Hunza valley. During this trek you will cross glaciers, high meadows and lovely irrigated terraced fields and also have the spectacular view of the mighty Karakoram Mountains from Rush Lake. The trip begins in Islamabad from where we will proceed towards Hunza. The first sight of the towering Rakaposhi (7788 m.) takes one’s breath away. The views get better and better as we approach Karimabad; the capital of this unbelievable beautiful valley. If there is Shangri-La on earth, then this must be it! Our short trek starts across the valley and the Hunza River at a place called Hoper. This is where the snout of the famous Barpu glacier meets another glacier called: Bualter. Hunzakuts (people from Hunza) believe that glaciers are either male or female. Each glacier exudes its own gender qualities and when male and female glaciers meet they give birth to a baby glacier! After four or five days of trekking we will reach the beautiful Rush Lake. We will have ample opportunity to rest in this awe-inspiring place and to take in the fantastic mountain panoramas. Our return to Karimabad is via another route down the Barpu Glacier. At Karimabad you will have time to do some shopping and sightseeing in a bazaar of an ancient mountain kingdom. From here you will drive back to Gilgit and onwards to Islamabad.
Except for one day, it is a green and moderate trek, recommended for first time trekkers, following the northeast stream flank of the Barpu glacier along a flat, fertile ablation valley, where large herds of goats and cattle graze among tamarisk and willow woods in summertime. In Karimabad we will board 4×4 soft-top jeeps and turn towards east for Nagar. Nagar was first settled in fourteenth century by people from Baltistan, who came over the Hispar Pass (5150 meters). After Nagar we will have seven days walk to reach Rush Lake and back to Karimabad. We also spend one day in upper Hunza in this trip. We end our trip back in Islamabad.
- Day 01: Islamabad-Besham Arrive Islamabad the federal capital of Pakistan, transfer to hotel for fresh-ups and drive to Besham.
- Day 02: Besham-Gilgit Early morning drive to Gilgit the capital city of Northern areas of Pakistan.
- Day 03: Gilgit-Hopar We drive out from Gilgit to re-enter the town from the historic route, crossing a suspension bridge over river.
- Day 04: Hopar-Shiskin It is a hot walk so keep your water bottles full. First we will cross Hoper glacier, then continue track along the lateral moraine for about an hour and arrive at Shiskin.
- Day 05: Shiskin-Barpu Giram Today we will climb a stony and hot gully to reach Barpu glacier, then in one hour we will cross the Barpu glacier, the crossing is again, bit steep.
- Day 06: Barpu Giram-Rash Lake It is an easy zigzag path; at the top of this path we will have extensive views of Hispar Gorge to the high mountains like Lupghar, Momhil, Trivor and Bullarang.
- Day 07: Rush Lake-Rest Day A free day at Rash Lake for a climb of Rash Peak. It is an easy walk for superb views of Hispar Gorge and a 360 degree panorama of Golden Peak, Miar, all of Hunza with Ultar and Passu Peak, all of Nagar and mountains to the north of Hispar.
- Day 08: RushLake-Datchugan Today, the trek will be a descending one throughout, to more than 1200 meters. The trek offers superb views of Miar glacier and Rakaposhi (7788m) range.
- Day 09: Datchugan-Hamdar After breakfast at camps we will start our trek, first we will cross Miar glacier with magnificent views of Miar Peak (6824meter).
- Day 10: Hamdar-Karimabad(Hunza) Hamdar to Hapakun takes one hour, with views of Golden, Chukutans, Rash peaks. Arrive Hapakun, another fertile meadow like Hamdar.
- Day 11: Karimabad-Passu Upper Hunza Short drive through the heart of Karakoram. We stop at the village of Gulmit, in the shadow of virgin Gulmit tower. Walk through the village fields to visit the Polo ground and old houses.
- Day 12: Passu-Chilas Drive along the bank of Hunza River on Karakoram Highway, enjoying fascinating views of Karakoram Peaks from a different angle.
- Day 13: Chilas-Islamabad Full day drive on Karakoram Highway to Islamabad. We start early in the morning, to cover the 12 hours long drive. Short stay in Besham for lunch, by evening we shall reach Islamabad.
- Day 14: Islamabad And Taxila This day is reserved to explore the beautiful city of Islamabad and the historical city of Taxila.
- Day 15: Islamabad Transfer to Air Port for flight to homeward destination.